A chainsaw is an expensive and portable power tool that can’t just be thrown out or replaced if it stops working properly. But it gets pretty dangerous if its teeth-like chain loosens or is too long to fit the blade.
Fortunately, adjusting the chain to the proper length or tightening is something you can do yourself. All you need to know is how to take a link out of a chainsaw.
Fixing a best chainsaw chain might be a time-consuming task but it is also a mechanical and precautionary task. Some of the tips that you should know before getting started with the process include:
- Make sure to have an extra chain as well in case everything goes south.
- Pay close attention to the details.
- Be careful with your handling.
- Have all the required tools gathered.
- Have your safety measures in check.
Depending on the usage of any chainsaw there will come a time when it will dull down. The dullness indicates that the chainsaw requires some treatment. From removing the chain from the chainsaw to fixing it up, this article will help you with all of it.
The removal of the chain from the firewood chainsaw and links from the chain would need the following tools
- Chain breaker
This tree-hunting tool should be handled with utmost care and precautions. So before any dealing make sure
- That the chainsaw is unplugged or powered off.
- It is completely cooled down
- To wear gloves
- To wear goggles
- To wear safety chaps.
Once you have gathered your tools and worn your gloves and goggles, it is time to get to work.
How to Get a Link Out of a Chainsaw Chain in 3 Simple Steps?
Step 1: Removing the chain from the chainsaw
In order to fix the chain-relating issues, it is to be removed first. Before starting make sure all the precautions are heeded.
- Use a wrench to loosen the nuts holding the blade.
- Remove any covering securing nut screws.
- Gently loosen the chain and take it off.
If this doesn’t work consult the manual that came with your battery chainsaw since the method could differ from one chainsaw to the other.
Step 2: Finding the link
Once you have removed the chain, the next step is to locate and replace the damaged link. To locate that thoroughly inspect the whole chain from both sides. You will notice it bent or broken. If the damage is not visibly obvious look for the loosened or tightened link.
Step 3: Removing the link from the chainsaw
The links are removed or replaced to tighten or shorten the chain by removing the damaged or loosened ones. This can be done with the help of the mentioned tool.
- Locate the damaged link.
- Use the chain breaker to remove the rivet by rotating its handle or pushing till the link is pulled out of the rivet hole.
- Repeat it on the other link on the driver link.
Once both links are removed the chain can be pulled apart using pliers.
DIY Chainsaw breaker
It is possible not to have a chain breaker at your disposal. In this scenario, you can always utilize DIY creative methods to get the task done. Following are some creative ideas
- Take a nail thin enough the size of the rivet.
- Hit it with a hammer or something heavy, enough times that it comes out the other side.
- Repeat for the other rivet,
- Pull them apart using two sets of pliers or screwdrivers.
- Use a metal wire, thin enough to slide across the rivet.
- Once it’s through move and rotates it around to loosen the bolt.
- Keep doing it till the rivet is loose enough to push out with a help of a plier.
- Remove the other one and pull apart the chain using two pliers or hold one side with something to keep make it steady and pull the chain apart.
Here’s a video tutorial by HomeSteady on how you can take a link out of a chainsaw without any hassle:
Frequently Asked Questions
How to find the master link on a chainsaw chain?
Finding a master link is not a difficult task. It is easily distinguishable since it is visually different from all other links in the chain.
- Go through both sides of the chain.
- It will be different than the other in some way or the other.
How to replace a link in a chainsaw chain?
Just like removing, this too requires the chain breaker.
- Place the link on the chain breaker.
- Rotate it clockwise or push it in using the tool.
- Repeat the same with the other link.
Doing this will keep your chainsaw away from bogging for sure.
How to shorten the chainsaw chain?
It’s one of the most commonly asked questions. Once you have removed a link, you can remove more to achieve the desired length. You can read our article for a detailed procedure.
How to tighten the chain of a chainsaw??
Locate the loosened screw. Use the wrench to turn the screw clockwise. Screw it till the desired tension is achieved.
How to know if it is time to replace or fix the chain links of the chainsaw?
There could be multiple reasons such as:
- If the gas chainsaw makes weird sounds.
- If while using it you feel it loosened or tightened.
- If it starts breaking while using it.
How to tell if the chain of the chainsaw is out of shape?
You can tell it examining its teeth. If they are worn out or don’t look like before that means that the chain needs maintaining. You can also tell by comparing it with a new chain. The difference will give it away.
Is it okay to sharpen the chainsaw?
Yes. When your chainsaw requires extra pressure when using, produces smoke even after oiling or it starts cutting unevenly. It means its teeth need to be sharpened.
Final Takeaways: How to Take a Link Out of a Chainsaw Chain in 2022?
A chainsaw is a big powerful tool and requires safety and precautions not just while using it but also fixing it. Fixing this tool can be done by oneself with the right tools and proper safety precautions. Fixing the chain requires a keen eye, chain breaker, pliers, and some patience. With all requirements in check, you can tighten and loosen your chainsaw and its chain.